God Is Series - Revelation
God Is – Revelation (1-23-2022)
If you are not hearing from God, ask yourself:
1. Do I really want to hear what God has to say?
2. Am I afraid of what He wants me to do?
When was the last time you very clearly heard God speak to you?
So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God.
1 CORINTHIANS 2:11 –12
- guided by divine revelation OR
- fooled by human speculation.
1 Corinthians to unsaved, God’s words are foolishness.
Do you think God’s Word is foolish?
Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.
Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.
1 Corinthians 1:20-25 (NIV)
WHO DO YOU LISTEN TO?
social media – politicians - sports stars - celebrities
Nothing but misery and death.
God’s Revelation Teaches:
1) Who God is
2) Who we are.
We don’t read the Bible – the Bible reads us
WANT TO KNOW GOD’S WILL?
After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Matthew 6:9-10 (KJV)
HOW DOES GOD REVEAL HIMSELF?
1. General Revelation
- God reveals Himself to everyone (Saved and Unsaved)
- Vague notion of God is still revelation God exist.
- Atheists say God to reject God
2. Special Revelation
- To be saved must know more than general revelation.
- Must know and accept that God became a man and died on a cross in our place for our sins.
For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified
1 Corinthians 2:2
HOW DOES GOD SPEAK TO YOU?
- The Bible
- Through Jesus
- Through the Holy Spirit
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
- Too familiar and becomes trivialized
- Primary way of revealing Himself. 100% trustworthy
- Christian belief stands or falls with the Bible.
- NOT a salad bar: “I’ll take that, I’ll leave that, I’ll take that, I’ll leave that.”
- We also don’t have to defend the Bible – a lion - Set it free and it will defend itself.
- Scripture is God speaking his truth to us in human words.
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17
HOW DO I KNOW MY BIBLE IS GOD’S WORD?
- Good modern translations of the Bible are almost exactly what the ancient authors wrote.
- Dead Sea Scrolls (1947). Copies of OT more than 1000 years older than oldest copies. Had a complete copy of Isaiah – Everything consistent.
- Jesus himself used copies and translations too. He often cited the Pentateuch (1st five books of OT – The Law), Psalms, and Isaiah.
- In the entire text of 20,000 lines, only 40 lines are in doubt (about 400 words), and even Bible critics agree that none of these significantly affects doctrine.
CAN SCRIPTURE BE WRITTEN TODAY?
2 primary reasons.
1. OT ended with prophet Malachi and the 400 years followed during which time no book of the Bible was written until John came, as promised.
2. NT ends with its final book, Revelation, telling us that no other books of the Bible are to be written following it, as the Bible is completed as we await Jesus’ Second Coming.
Revelation 22:18-19 warns us against messing with God’s final Word.
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.
BASICS OF REVELATION
You cannot develop a relationship without communication that goes both ways.
Not Hearing God
1. Unconfessed Sin
Sin is the barrier.
God isn’t going to speak to you again until you’ve obeyed the last thing He told you to do. IMAGINE 400 YEARS FROM MALICHI to GOSPELS
3. Busyness and Distraction
Find a quiet, private place every day to pray and hear God. God isn’t obligated to chase us down.
Revelation 3:20 (NIV)
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.
How to Hear God
1. By His still, small voice inside our hearts
Behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.
1 Kings 19:11–12
2. Through the Rhema “Word” of God
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Rhema is Greek for word = “the living voice of God.”
3. By open and closed doors
To the angel of the church in Philadelphia write,
“These things says He who is holy, He who is true, ‘He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens.’”
God is protective and uses circumstances to open or close doors of opportunity.
NO is sometimes a Not Now. Discern the difference.
4. Through Other People
- God uses people.
- Spouse for sharing His word – Reminds we need and complete each other as 2 in 1 – Remain humble and teachable in our relations.
- Parents are used by God to speak to kids. Mary spoke to Jesus:
Luke 2:41–51 – 12-year-old Jesus at Temple teaching.
John 2:1–11 – Wedding, Mary gave Jesus instruction and although he said his time wasn’t at hand, he obeyed his mother.