GOD IS JUDGE – The FALL
Tale of Two Families
Both FELL – Who Gets Up?
God’s Heavenly Family
-Original Sin was not Adam and Eve
-Satan and his demons committed the Original Sin
Pride caused Satan to reject God’s authority and rebel – He took a lot of others down with him. SIN never affects only the rebellious.
For you have said in your heart: "I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation on the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds,
I will be like the Most High."
NOTE –Rebellion against God is an intentional act taken only after recognizing His authority and then choosing to oppose it
Where did Satan FALL? Earth
Should be concerned?
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
1 Peter 5:8
NOTE – Hunter Stealthy – Prowling is not crawling or Sneaking. It’s Strutting (like Goliath) - Roaring Alerts Prey – World Today – Evil In Open
Should you fear Satan?
Not if you have Jesus as Savior and Lord.
Submit therefore to God. But resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
James 4:7 (NASB)
- End Game:
No hope of salvation.
Satan go for broke. God made no provision for the atonement of their sins – only for humans:
Satan and demons’ judgement pronounced:
And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur,
where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown.
They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
God’s Human Family
Only 3 chapters and we dropped the ball.
Genesis 1 & 2 – All Good in paradise. God and man are good. God, man, and woman – harmony.
15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”
Genesis 3 – SIN enters their perfect world and humanity FALLS – Guilt, Shame & separation from God.
3 Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made (NOTE – Adam knew serpent because he named the serpent.).
He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?” (NOTE – Subtle twist – Every lie has thread of truth)
2 The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’” (NOTE – She misquotes God’s Word Gen 2:16-17 – Slight but significant.)
4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” NOTE
– Devil knows God’s Word better than Eve
– God said “CERTAINLY DIE” to Adam (Genesis 2:17)
– Eve never said the words “CERTAINLY DIE” to the serpent (Genesis 3:3)
– Serpent used exact phrase as God “CERTAINLY DIE” (Genesis 3:4)
– Eve did not know God’s Word because her husband failed to properly communicate what God told him (Genesis 2:16)
– Adam failed to minister (God’s Word) to his wife and failed as the spiritual head of his family.
- WHEN men fail to lead their families, someone / something else will!!!
6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it.
– After being manipulated, Eve did “SEE” that the fruit was good, pleasing, and desirable.
TODAY EXAMPLE: Satan lures us into thinking there’s someone better, we’d be richer, happier. Unless grounded and living out His Word, we bite.
She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. NOTE
– Eve is not a bad person. She is uninformed because she was misled by husband and manipulated by the devil.
- She isn’t innocent because PRIDE tempted her with being LIKE GOD
TODAY EXAMPLE: Look like this celebrity or model. They bought a car, so ...
- PASSIVE MALE - Adam is with her as she’s being seduced.
DEFAULT SINS LEAD TO FALL– Female = Independence & Male = Passivity
– Adam fails to correct / help his wife for not knowing God’s Word,
- Adam fails to confront the devil for manipulating her.
- Adam violates God’s Word by joining in on the rebellion.
- Adam was a Two’Fer – the devil took him down without saying a word.
7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.
– When do they reUNITE as ONE? In their Sin and Shame.
- The first and last time they were in Purity and Unity was Genesis 2:23-24
23 The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.”
24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife,
and they become one flesh.
Genesis 2:23-24 (NIV)
- When We get cozy and complacent with sin – GOD MUST JUDGE
- When Sin hangs out with us in intimate places – GOD MUST JUDGE
- When Sin doesn’t alarm us because our eyes are off God – GOD MUST JUDGE
- When Sin controls us when our pride dictates our relationship with rebellion. – GOD MUST JUDGE
- Whether it’s Satan or us, changing God’s Word leads to destruction. – GOD MUST JUDGE
- When we compromise God’s Truth, Satan wins – WE FALL – GOD MUST JUDGE
NOTE – Banishing was Protecting them.
Because they sinned, God judged them. In their judgement, they were FALLEN (corrupted) Had they eaten of the TREE of LIFE, we would have remained condemned forever without chance of redemption through Jesus.
- End Game:
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:16-17 (KJV)
DESPITE OUR PRIDE – SIN – SEPARATION – GOD MAKES A WAY BACK TO PARADISE:
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.